Thursday, February 24, 2011

What's On My Mind....

Nothing; really NOTHING!  I mean regular day to day stuff, issues with my husband’s injuries etc will always be there but as far as consuming and nagging, shouting, stressful and overwhelmingly a waste of energy, things… NOTHING! Until recently I was working; yes, I worked from home but it was a job running a nationwide endeavor or programs that were a part of one… and it kept me extremely busy.  Things have changed and after nearly 5 years of working from home daily I am now unemployed.

I thought for sure I would lose my mind and need something to keep me busy.  I was frantically going over scenarios in my mind to fill the void and find work.  One thing I learned is that working in the nonprofit realm is not just a job it becomes an all consuming time crunching and massive monster that eats you alive at all times of the day and night.  How to reach more people, help more people and complete your mission…. It never ends it even gets to you in your dreams!

Now, I am no longer daily pursuing the mission.  I am not owned by the monster and honestly for the first time in ages I feel wonderful! I don’t have tension attacks and migraines at the beginning of the work week, I am not putting my family and home off to pursue the importance of the “mission” and I find I enjoy being on the computer instead of dreading my office time!

I have nothing on my mind daily; I have nothing consuming me when I try to go to sleep.  I can concentrate on the here and the now without worrying about how I will get all on my schedule done “in time.”

My quote for today is Helen Keller:
“When one door of happiness closes, another opens, but often we took so long at the closed door that we do not see the one that has been opened up for us”

I have heard many people after a time, tell me that losing their job was the best thing that ever happened to them in the long run; it allowed them to take risks they otherwise would have shied from and pursued dreams they had set aside to do their work and maintain their security.  

I have had the privilege of pursuing and succeeding at the one goal/ dream I had before me in my work with Operation Life Transformed that included seeing it over to new ownership and governance and now I have the chance to pursue my next one.  I’m not even sure what exactly it is yet but I’m ready!  I have time to think about it since really, I have nothing on my mind now.

No comments: